Re: Debian GNOME Policy, Mark II

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 20:46, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> So, I find myself telling people about obscure packages that have really
> useful stuff in them all the time due to the new popularity for finely
> granular packaging.

Yeah...

> [...] how are they going to be magically installed
>      to satisfy the needs of any user that will want the functionality?

This is quite simple, actually.  The "fontilus" package will depend on
"gnomevfs-method-fonts".  So from the fontilus user's point of view,
there is really no change.  "aptitude install fontilus" or whatever will
just pull in another package.  But someone who wants just the gnome-vfs
method can install only the method package.

The reason I want to break this up is because currently, fontilus just
Recommends: nautilus.  Which is rather broken in a way; fontilus really
should Depend on nautilus; it's just the GnomeVFS method that doesn't.

I suppose I could just make fontilus Depend: nautilus now, but then
people who want just the GnomeVFS method can't get it without pulling in
a vast swath of GNOME and X.

I dunno...if people don't like the idea, then I will just make fontilus
Depend: nautilus and forget about it.