Re: Debian GNOME Policy, Mark II

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 01:30, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Colin Walters">
>
> > This is quite simple, actually.  The "fontilus" package will depend on
> > "gnomevfs-method-fonts".  So from the fontilus user's point of view,
> > there is really no change.  "aptitude install fontilus" or whatever will
> > just pull in another package.  But someone who wants just the gnome-vfs
> > method can install only the method package.
>
> Ahr, but that is the very simplest case of all. ;-)

Sure; the simple (common) case is handled cleanly.

> It's worth doing (I think it would be useful, anyway) if the maintainership
> and user issues are easily handled, so perhaps it should be a MAY in the
> guidelines. ;-)

I understand what the maintainership issues are, but what other user
issues are you thinking of?

As for making it a "may" in the guidelines...sure.  Although I tend to
prefer "It is recommended that..." to give a bit of force, while still
not technically being a "should" or even a "may".