Re: tasklist and workspace not working

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 07:27:31AM +0100, Alexander Koch wrote:
> Hi Havoc,
>
> On Sat, 11 January 2003 19:29:11 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > my tasklist is always empty, no chance to get it working
> > > from my side, how can I best debug it or is a known bug
> > > already?
> > >
> > > Also my workspace applet is not displaying anything, same
> > > story here. This is so since the first GTK2 things came in
> > > and I installed them.
> >
> > Your window manager has to have support for these.
>
> That's interesting. So 'Version: 0.80.1-4' of wmaker does
> not work with it? Which window managers *do* work with the
> new panel stuff? Or is wmaker about to be fixed anytime soon?
>
> These two tools are *very* handy and useful and working without
> those is all but fun. So is this is a 'known' bug / problem?

I don't know what the wmaker plans are. Window managers that may
support the new stuff include openbox (or other blackbox variants),
metacity, KWin, fvwm2 (with some add-on module), icewm, waimea,
Sawfish, matchbox. I may be wrong or confused about some of those.  I
would assume wmaker also plans to support it but don't know if anyone
has written the patch.

The original spec with most of the relevant stuff (version 1.1) came
out March 2001 so any WM that's remotely actively maintained should
work with at least the task list. Some of the details of the pager may
require version 1.2. See
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec.html

Havoc