gtk-doc files and a GNOME Policy

Hi,

While hunting around my system I found /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/. The
contents in this directory on my system are:

$ ll /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/
total 8
[snipping columns]
lrwxrwxrwx    bonobo-activation -> ../../doc/bonobo-activation/gtk-doc-html/
drwxr-xr-x    gconf/
lrwxrwxrwx    gnome-vfs-2.0 -> ../../doc/libgnomevfs2-common/html/
lrwxrwxrwx    libbonobo -> ../../doc/libbonobo2-common/gtk-doc-html/
drwxr-xr-x    linc/

Obviously this is where API documentation generated by gtk-doc is
being installed. Some packages (bonobo-activation, gnome-vfs,
libbonobo) are actually installing the docs into
/usr/share/PACKAGE/doc, which is the right thing to do, but linc is
not and gconf is actually installing an empty file.

So, should GNOME on Debian officially not use /usr/share/gtk-doc/html,
instead installing into /usr/share/doc? Is this directory used by
gtk-doc other than an install location? If not all we need is a little
Makefile tweaking to simply install into /usr/share/doc instead.

I'm pleased to see more and more GNOME libraries having their API
documentation packaged, but in the case of linc its in a totally
unexpected directory...

Things like this, and the discussions over where panel applets should
live, what Nautilus views should be packages as etc, lead me to
believe that we should sit down and work out a mini-policy for the
GNOME packages.

A suggested list of items to cover:
* package naming (i.e nautilus or nautilus2)
* package naming for Nautilus view, panel applets, etc
* location of panel applet binaries
* naming of themes and engines
* location of docs, and that libraries should use gtk-doc if possible
* use of scrollkeeper (replace external URL with path until fixed)

Getting all of the current best practices in writing so new packagers
can refer to it, and we can have a uniform packaging style, can only
be a good thing.

Regards,
Ross
--