Re: non-western font support in gnome/gtk

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 02:21, Miles Bader wrote:
> Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net> writes:
> > I used that config file for Xft:
> > http://www.hadess.net/files/configs/hadess.XftConfig
>
> Can you tell what's special about that XftConfig?  It looks more or
> less like what I've got; in particular, at least:
>
>    dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>    dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
>    dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
>    dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
>    match any family == "Sans"     		edit family += "Kochi Gothic";
>    match any family == "Serif"		edit family += "Kochi Mincho";
>    match any family == "Monospace"		edit family += "Kochi Gothic";
>
> Mozilla has no problems rendering japanese, so I'm not sure it's a
> problem with freetype (thought ft does a pretty bad job of the
> rendering!).
>
> > installed all the font packages mentioned at the top, and used
> > jp_JP.UTF-8 as the locale.
>
> How did you do that -- gdm only seems to offer two applicable choices in
> the `Language' menu: ja_JP.eucJP and ja_JP.shift_jis (not sure about
> the exact name of the latter, but it's in the menu).
>
> If I try to do something like:
>
>    LANG=ja_JP.utf-8 gnome-terminal &

As Colin said, it's ja_JP.UTF-8

> from an xterm, I get warning messages like:
>
>    (gnome-terminal:12060): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
>    (gnome-terminal:12060): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
>
> and then everything is as broken as before.
>
> I made sure the `locales' package is installed, and ja_JP.eucJP and
> ja_JP.utf-8 locales enabled, is there something other place where I've
> got to make sure locale info is generated?
>
> Another, _very_ strange thing I noticed, which may provide a clue to
> the problem:  during session startup, in the gdm startup messages,
> there are 1 or 2 message that _do_ display japanese correctly -- but
> after a point, the wierd `boxes' start showing up instead.

Boxes mean that the font you selected doesn't have the right characters,
and it falls back on the empty character. Select the Sans font as your
default application font in the Font properties, it works.

> The point at which it seems to break is where I have it run xrdb to
> setup my X resources, though I'm not sure what in there could affect
> anything; here's my .xrdb file, with obviously irrelevant lines removed:
>
>    *Foreground: White
>    *Background: Black
>    *CursorColor: LightBlue
>
>    #define FIXED -B&H-LucidaTypewriter-Medium-R-Normal-Sans-*-100-*
>
>    *inputMethod: kinput2
>
>    ! For kinput2:
>    kinput2*Font: FIXED
>    *kanjiFont: -Shinonome-Gothic-Medium-R-Normal--12-110-75-75-C-120-JISX0208.1990-0
>
>    Emacs*Font: FIXED
>
>    *BeNiceToColormap: false
>
>    XTerm*scrollBar: true
>    XTerm*saveLines: 300
>    XTerm*utmpInhibit: true
>    XTerm*termName: xterms
>    XTerm*geometry: -0+0
>
> Seems simple enough ... I guess I should try removing the invocation of
> xrdb and see if that fixes things...

XResources have nothing to do with GTK+.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault