Re: non-western font support in gnome/gtk

Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net> writes:
> I used that config file for Xft:
> http://www.hadess.net/files/configs/hadess.XftConfig

Can you tell what's special about that XftConfig?  It looks more or
less like what I've got; in particular, at least:

   dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
   dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
   dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
   dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
   match any family == "Sans"     		edit family += "Kochi Gothic";
   match any family == "Serif"		edit family += "Kochi Mincho";
   match any family == "Monospace"		edit family += "Kochi Gothic";

Mozilla has no problems rendering japanese, so I'm not sure it's a
problem with freetype (thought ft does a pretty bad job of the
rendering!).

> installed all the font packages mentioned at the top, and used
> jp_JP.UTF-8 as the locale.

How did you do that -- gdm only seems to offer two applicable choices in
the `Language' menu: ja_JP.eucJP and ja_JP.shift_jis (not sure about
the exact name of the latter, but it's in the menu).

If I try to do something like:

   LANG=ja_JP.utf-8 gnome-terminal &

from an xterm, I get warning messages like:

   (gnome-terminal:12060): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
   (gnome-terminal:12060): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

and then everything is as broken as before.

I made sure the `locales' package is installed, and ja_JP.eucJP and
ja_JP.utf-8 locales enabled, is there something other place where I've
got to make sure locale info is generated?

Another, _very_ strange thing I noticed, which may provide a clue to
the problem:  during session startup, in the gdm startup messages,
there are 1 or 2 message that _do_ display japanese correctly -- but
after a point, the wierd `boxes' start showing up instead.

The point at which it seems to break is where I have it run xrdb to
setup my X resources, though I'm not sure what in there could affect
anything; here's my .xrdb file, with obviously irrelevant lines removed:

   *Foreground: White
   *Background: Black
   *CursorColor: LightBlue

   #define FIXED -B&H-LucidaTypewriter-Medium-R-Normal-Sans-*-100-*

   *inputMethod: kinput2

   ! For kinput2:
   kinput2*Font: FIXED
   *kanjiFont: -Shinonome-Gothic-Medium-R-Normal--12-110-75-75-C-120-JISX0208.1990-0

   Emacs*Font: FIXED

   *BeNiceToColormap: false

   XTerm*scrollBar: true
   XTerm*saveLines: 300
   XTerm*utmpInhibit: true
   XTerm*termName: xterms
   XTerm*geometry: -0+0

Seems simple enough ... I guess I should try removing the invocation of
xrdb and see if that fixes things...

Thanks,

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?