non-western font support in gnome/gtk

[please CC me on any replies, as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.]

I'm trying out using a different locale now, with LANG=ja_JP.eucJP (set
from gdm).

Emacs and mozilla deal fine with this, but all the gnome stuff (I'm
using debian unstable, so it's basically gnome2) freaked out -- the text
in menus, label, etc., now all appear as a series of little boxes with
hex numbers inside.  It seems that it found appropriate translated text
to use, but is not displaying it correctly.

I'm not sure whether I'm need to use an `all unicode' font for this
stuff to work or not (i.e., as opposed to emacs, etc, which can use
different fonts for different character sets), so I tried changing the
standard font using the gnome menu's font preferences dialogue (I had to
guess where it was though, since all the menu text is garbled now :-) I
went through all the fonts it listed, and none seemed to work (I've got
quite a few fonts installed -- including the `MS core fonts' -- although
gnome2 apparently limits me to using truetype fonts).

So I'm not sure what to try next, or even whether this is a bug or not
(or what package to report it against).  Any pointers?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo