Re: force gnome-search-tool to use locate

Hi,

> Usually when I want to find files I use locate from command-line. It
> is really  fast way to find what you need. I expected something like
> that from gnome- search-tool. Apparently it uses find and it takes a
> long time to find  anything. I found no way to force it to use locate
> (yet help says gnome- search-tool uses find locate and grep commands).

As far as I can tell, gnome-search-tool uses locate(1) only when
"Look in folder" is set to "/" and the filename contains no wildcards.

At least for me when "Look in folder" is set to "/" and file name has wildcards "*" and "?" gnome-search-tools uses locate.

I consider this a usability bug, since there is no indication that the
program's behavior changes in this way (i.e. that runs faster but
returns less up-to-date results, depending on the query).

I filed 2 more usability bugs against gnome-utils (gnome-search-tool is in package gnome-utils):

Seems that gnome-search-tool is not such usable:) And since there are no bugs filed against it seems that everybody is happy with command line find and locate:)

Mpiktas