Re: background in gnome 2.4

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 05:39:37AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Disabling Nautilus is not the way to fix this properly - bringing support
> for per-desktop backgrounds to GNOME is.

Good to know. Some time to lend ?

Disabling costs few minutes.
Bringing support for someone who have never seen the Gnome sources
before...some full days, weeks ?
If I could do it, it would be a hack, it would be accepted in Gnome
mainstream ? I don't think so...
Have I to became a full Gnome programmer for just this feature ?

> You can't. Nautilus draws a window on top of the root window. That's the
> only sane way to get desktop file management working.

This I had seen by myself. I could drag that window around :-))

Is there someone that can explain me the difference between the following gconf
keys or point me to some documentation ?

/desktop/gnome/background/draw_background
/apps/nautilus/preferences/background_set
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop

The first two seem to do nothing on my setup. If there just no way to
tell nautilus to use a transparent background, what's their use ?

--
Daniele Venzano