Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Em Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:09:18 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> escreveu:

> > That does not seem to be true for the splash image... it's set on my
> > (user) gconf stuff and I did not modify it through gconf-editor, nor
> > gconftool-2.
>
> Where and how did you saw it?

using gconf-editor /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image

> > It is set whenever gnome-session boots for the first time, so the
> > gconf.defaults stuff won't work.
>
> It's not here and I'm using the standard Debian packages...

weird

> > *IF* he has done that, with the current system (update-alternatives)
> > that won't change. The update-alternatives one will change the
> > default, but will not mess with the user's gconf key.
>
> Of course, but we are talking about the best way to change that
> preference, if GNOME gives us a native way to do it, why should we use
> external methods?

They seem to be the best one to me, right now... I'd like to have
a standard way to deal with this for GNOME and KDE.

One possible solution for not depending on gconf/gnome-session is
simply adding a file as conffile to the correct directory, as jdub
pointed out to me on IRC, but I still want to clear the 'it's already
there' question before switching to this method.

> > > That's respecting users' freedom of choice.
> >
> > It's being done right now.
>
> Of course, the alternatives system gives you the same feature, but what
> happens if tomorrow gnome-session changes the .png file location? (for
> example to let the user change it following his/her gnome theme). The
> user will not get the Debian splash screen until we get a new
> desktop-base package with the new path. IMHO that's a bug.

I'd say that's improbable. Anyway, we have the tools to handle this
fairly well. I don't see it as a problem.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>