Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

El mié, 05-11-2003 a las 00:58, Johannes Rohr escribió:
> Am Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:30:32 +0100 schrieb Christian Marillat:
>
> > Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:
> >
> >> Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> So if you change the default, it will affect *all* but those few that
> >> have already chosen a custom Splash image.
> >>
> >> What's wrong about that? I'd say it's the best way I can imagine.
> >
> > Tell me how you can tell to an user who come from Windows or for a
> > newbie Linux user to open a terminal (terminal ? sorry I don't
> > undertstand !) and type gconftool-2 ... ( where I should type
> > gconftool-2 ... ?)
>
> I'm not saying that. What I'm talking about is that it would be perfectly
> reasonable to have such a command in e.g. desktop-base.postinst

That's not possible as we were talking some mails ago, that command adds
a gconf dependency to the desktop-base package and it's not acceptable
when you are not installing GNOME Desktop.

Then, we have two alternatives:

1.- The current Debian alternatives system solution.
2.- The Correct Way (TM) changing the gnome-session .schema file
directly inside the gnome-session package so we use Debian default image
instead of the GNOME one.

Both works but the first "solution" (the actual one) will be broken if
upstream changes the splash screen image path until a desktop-base get
updated to the new path.

[...]

Cheers.

--