Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

El mié, 05-11-2003 a las 02:16, Gustavo Noronha Silva escribió:
> Em Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:09:18 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> escreveu:
>
> > > That does not seem to be true for the splash image... it's set on my
> > > (user) gconf stuff and I did not modify it through gconf-editor, nor
> > > gconftool-2.
> >
> > Where and how did you saw it?
>
> using gconf-editor /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image

That's not the correct way to look it.

When you use the gconf daemon to see the data you always see all keys
because it has some paths to look at (just look at /etc/gconf/2/path to
know the order).

If you want to see if you have an specific key instead of a default one,
you must look it directly at $HOME/gconf/

> > > It is set whenever gnome-session boots for the first time, so the
> > > gconf.defaults stuff won't work.
> >
> > It's not here and I'm using the standard Debian packages...
>
> weird

It's just you were looking at it wrongly.

> > > *IF* he has done that, with the current system (update-alternatives)
> > > that won't change. The update-alternatives one will change the
> > > default, but will not mess with the user's gconf key.
> >
> > Of course, but we are talking about the best way to change that
> > preference, if GNOME gives us a native way to do it, why should we use
> > external methods?
>
> They seem to be the best one to me, right now... I'd like to have
> a standard way to deal with this for GNOME and KDE.

GNOME uses its own configuration system, just like KDE, if they are not
sharing those settings, why should you do it?

In a perfect world both desktops should share all settings so I will
have the same preferences when I work with GNOME or KDE. That change
should be done upstream and until we get shared configurations you will
have two different ways (or three if you count XFCE or four if you add
any other desktop).

I think it's not your work to handle all possible desktops, the desktops
should use your debian-base package as they think they should.

> One possible solution for not depending on gconf/gnome-session is
> simply adding a file as conffile to the correct directory, as jdub
> pointed out to me on IRC, but I still want to clear the 'it's already
> there' question before switching to this method.

> > > It's being done right now.
> >
> > Of course, the alternatives system gives you the same feature, but what
> > happens if tomorrow gnome-session changes the .png file location? (for
> > example to let the user change it following his/her gnome theme). The
> > user will not get the Debian splash screen until we get a new
> > desktop-base package with the new path. IMHO that's a bug.
>
> I'd say that's improbable. Anyway, we have the tools to handle this
> fairly well. I don't see it as a problem.

Yes, it's improbable but it's not impossible.

> []s!

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín