Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:

> Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

> So if you change the default, it will affect *all* but those few that
> have already chosen a custom Splash image.
>
> What's wrong about that? I'd say it's the best way I can imagine.

Tell me how you can tell to an user who come from Windows or for a
newbie Linux user to open a terminal (terminal ? sorry I don't
undertstand !) and type gconftool-2 ... ( where I should type
gconftool-2 ... ?)

Are you really serious ?

You want to customize the Desktop a little more ? Then write a capplet
who add missing configuration opttions like the splash screen
configuration.

If you do that, you should think, why this option aren't already included
by upstream in the control center ? Because users don't need to changes
this sort of options ?

> If someone has already deliberately chosen a custom splash image, s/he
> is probably happy with it and nothing else should be imposed on
> them. All others get a funky new Debian splash.
>
> That's respecting users' freedom of choice.

Really ? You impose new users with the Debian splash screen, I don't
talk that freedom of choice.

Christian