Re: debian-desktop, and relevant thoughts.

<quote who="Ghe Rivero">

> I'm one of the fanatics that had been working on the Ximian Desktop port
> to Woody (Actually the only one packaging an preparing the patches). By
> the end of this week I hope to have finish with the last release and put
> all the sources available (at least most of then).
>
> Apart of this, i like XD2, and most of the improvements that they have
> done, but not all. It could be great if we could integrate some patches
> into the Debian desktop. I don't mind if gnome2.2 or Gnome2.4 goes into
> next stable. I'm actually working with the next XDunstable, based on
> Gnome2.4, so i can help anybody to have a real good desktop for Debian..

Ghe, I'm still not clear why you're doing this, particularly when you're
doing it independently of the larger woody backport project that is already
running. Just about all of the Ximian stuff is *already present* in Debian's
GNOME, minus a few fairly arguable patches here and there... I really don't
grok why you have a whole separate effort for so little benefit beyond the
current Debian unstable GNOME (including the existing woody backport)...

Perhaps I'm missing something...

- Jeff

             http://www.xach.com/debian-users-are-beatniks.html