debian-desktop, and relevant thoughts.

Good day all,

  First off, a caveat: I'm just a User, not a developer. Take me as you
will.

  Now, a recent mail[1] on debian-devel reminded me of the Debian
Desktop[2] sub-project, which I see could be a great solution to a lot
of conflict and duplicated effort.

What I see happening around me at recently (hopefully somewhere close to
chronological order):

* Backports appear for Gnome 2.x on Woody
* Hopeful release date announced for Sarge to become Stable
* KDE fans immediately realise that this date stands days before KDE 4.2
is due, and propose many unworkable ideas to squeeze it into Sarge at
the last moment, during the heaviest of freezes.
* Spanish Gnome Fanatics[3] make great steps towards a Ximian Desktop
port to Woody
* Gnome 2.4 arrives: Anxious gnome-ers want to see the latest and
greatest of their favourite desktop, at a time when in all honesty we
should be aiming for ripples, not tsunami.
* I get a faint sniff that our Spanish friends _may_ be talking to
Ximian about producing community-produced backport of the next Ximian
Desktop.

I can't seriously be the only one that still thinks that the legions of
developers that volunteered to help put KDE 4.2 into Sarge, or Gnome 2.4
into Experimental, or those currently producing third-party backports ..
between them couldn't produce one butt-kicking Debian Desktop
subproject?

 I see a Will, I see a Way - and I see the combination as a win-win
situation. comments?

Regards,
  Shaun.

[1]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg00624.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop/
[3] I personally see Gnome Fanatic as a compliment. I simply don't
recall the correct name of the group in question right now.