Re: So what do the Debian Gnome maintainers say?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 04:02:24PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:28:03PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Frankly do you think that a maintainer can upload and don't use these
> >> packages ? Not really reasonnable. We can wait 2 or 3 weeks and see what
> >> happens with gcc/libc bugs.
> >
> > Notice that this would bring us to begining of october, and the RM's
> > release plan did say :
> >
> >         * October 1st
> >
> >                 Drop the RC bug list by ~150 bugs to ~100
> >                 (via removals, fixes and workarounds)
> >
> >                 1st test cycle, public request for comments
> >
> >                 Last minute fixes and changes to the installer
> >
> > But then, you are acting as if the RM's release plan is no more
> > accurate, and that we will delay to July 2004 or something such.
>
> You know that releasing sarge in December is completely surrealistic.

Well, i believe strongly. Anyway, for my own packages and related ocaml
stuff, we will be ready in time.

But even there, if everyone takes that approach, we will not only slip a
bit, but a long time.

Someone mentioned the X case, and you notice that 4.3.0 is not yet in
sid, altough there will probably be a new upstream release soon, so this
doesn't bode well for the let's sort things out first, and we will
consider the next version once it is fixed approach. Not that gnome is
anything comparable to X in complexity though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther