Re: Today's the day...

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:38:27PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 09:05, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > and again, X4.2 includes xrandr. It wasn't in the xfree86 server, put
> > > the kdrive servers had it, and the libraries were there. Same with
> > > render, and afaik same again with xcursor.
> >
> > Nope, it was not. xrandr is part of X 4.3, but was not in 4.2 (it even
> > isn't complete in 4.3, no rotating support for example).
>
> No, John is right. The incomplete XFree86 DDX support was only added for
> 4.3, but the client side and complete support in kdrive servers was
> already in 4.2.

Ok, let's say it differently then.

You cannot use xrandr with the 4.2.1 debian packages currently in
sid/sarge. For that you need the experimental 4.3.0 packages. I don't
know that debian ships the kdrive server, but i may be wrong.

So for all practical purpose here, we can only have randr support with
the 4.3.0 packages in experimental, unless someone packages standalone
client side libraries or something such.

Is this right then ? Or should i rebuild my gnome-randr-applet package
against 4.2.1 xlibs and have it already included in debian/sid instead
of having it waiting for the 4.3.0 packages to reach sid.

Friendly,

Sven Luther