Re: Gtk/Gnome RC Bug Report

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:29:07AM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Months ? Are you serious ? gtm and gtktalog have been ported in less
> than 3 hours. May be not the same project, but porting an application to
> GTK 2 doesn't need months...
>
> Christian

Having been involved in the Gaim port, yes, months. It took 10 months
and rewriting about 30% of our code to get from our 0.59 stable
branchpoint to our first usable 0.60 release. Any stuff using GdkFont
(like our custom conversation widget) needed to be re-done, anything
using a list or a tree basically needed rewriting, etc. It was *not* a
trivial matter by any means, and tens of thousands of lines of code were
written or rewritten (Gaim had about 100k lines of code at the time).

And you may be talking at different values of "port". It was a matter of
hours to set GTK_ENABLE_BROKEN and make Gaim compile and work some of
the time, but it was the work of months to rewrite all the code using
deprecated widgets and functions, but we finally achieved it. 0.60
released with G_DISABLE_DEPRECATED, GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED and
GDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED defined, making it a fully i18nable and
accessible application.

Regards,
Rob