Re: root login

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:36:40AM -0700, Michael Toomim wrote:

Hylke van der Schaaf wrote:

I've seen several cases of users that messed up their system. But a main
reason there are no virusses for unix systems is that users are not root.
I don't think that should be changed...

Hylke

There are TONS of virii and worms on unices, and hackers seem to PREFER getting into unix machines over windows machines.

  WTF have you smoked?

  You must be referring to all those I receive in my inbox and can
  delete without being automatically infected.

I've had linux boxes broken into at least 3 times. I've never had a windows box broken into.

You think that the root/user separation somehow prevents virii from attacking unix machines? That's absolutely ridiculous! Virii and worms don't WANT root permissions. All they need to do is grab your address book (or whatever other list of contacts) and eat up your CPU trying to infect other computers. In fact, its probably easier to grab your address while running under your UID than it is running under root, since it's hanging out in your home folder.

The only difference between a multi-user system and a single-user system from a virus-protection perspective is that it's possible to infect multiple users simultaneously on a multi-user system. That'll *really* slow your workstation to a crawl. :)

Why do crackers attack unix and email virii attack windows? The former want a server, the latter want a ubiquitous operating environment -- end of story. The root/user separation has nothing to do with why windows users are plagued by things like the I Love You virus.