Re: root login

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Jenner Alm?nzar">

I finally got gnome working, but I have on question, why root can't login
on gnome 1.4?

It actually can't, or are you getting the "you shouldn't log in as root"
message? If it's the message - read it carefully. You should not be logging
into your X session as root. Log in as your normal user, and use su or sudo
to do administrative tasks.

Debian should put out a good effort to make system administration easy for newbies.

After you've installed debian for the first time, all you know is that you have two users (one root and one a regular user) and that there's a login screen at the beginning where you can log in.

It's much easier conceptually, at this point, to log in as root from gdm and use the menu to launch the configuration tool of your choice than to learn how to open a shell as a normal user, run su, and type in the command-line versions of the programs in their gnome foot menu.

Maybe in the long-term you want to do something Redhat-like to give normal users root-like powers, but in the meantime it seems like letting people log in as root would be a significant usability improvement.