Re: root login

Jeff Waugh wrote:
That's GDM not letting you log in then, which is a good thing. :-) Always
use X / GNOME / KDE as a normal user, not root.

Why is this a decidedly "good thing"? Many other distributions and OS's let users log into the graphical interface as root equivalents, and I don't see how it can possibly be that big of a security risk.

Users can log into the command prompt as root. They can even run startx as root. But they can't log into GDM as root?

This sounds like highly unnecessary paranoia to me.