Re: root login

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 13:33, Michael Toomim wrote:
--snip--
> If a hacker gets access to your account, and then you su to root, he'll
> sniff your password and get root access.  Being a user who periodically
> logs in as root is just as insecure as being a user who logs in as root.
>
> Except that in this case, it's actually LESS secure.  Say a hacker gets
> into my user account.  If I were to login as root from GDM, the hacker
> would still be trapped in my user account.  But if I *can't* log in as
> root from GDM, I'll be forced to su to root instead from my user
> account, and the hacker will get my password (and consequently root access).
--snip--

This is all assuming that you're trying to prevent a malicious "hacker"
(cracker might be more appropriate) from breaking into your computer. No
computer is secure enough to withstand a prolonged, concerted effort to
break into it. What we need to protect against is random attacks in the
forms of scripts, viruses, worms, trojans, etc.

--snip--
> No, that's a different argument.  You're telling me that I shouldn't
> give secretaries root access.  Well, duh.  But the question isn't
> whether you give secretaries root access or not, it's whether you give
> people who *already have/want/need root access* the ability to log in as
> root to gnome through GDM.
>
> If you can log in as root through a console, a startx, and an xterm,
> there's no real reason that you shouldn't be allowed to log in as root
> through GDM.  Being root from GDM is no more dangerous or insecure than
> being root from the console or su.

I agree that a user should be ABLE to log in as root from GDM if s/he so
desires. However, there should be appropriate cautions in place to
ensure that John Q. Idiot will get scared away before he accidentally
enables it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837