Re: Week 8 hate

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:37:04PM +0200, Kai I Hendry wrote:
> When I go to bed, and I want to turn off my computer, I have to open a root
> terminal and init 0. I have configured gdm to log me in conveniently when my machine boots,
> so at the moment when I log out (I think that is what you supposed to do), and shut down, it
> instead logs me back in. Why can't we have a little itty button to shutdown?

Well, i feel bad about this one also, in gnome 1 i solved the problem by
having a `sudo gshutdown` icon, but this is no more possible. I think
the main problem is that you are not root, and so have no right to
shudown the box. But still, if you are using the new 2.4 gdm (not yet in
the archive though), you can configure it so it will autolog you in on
the _first_ connection only, and when you log out, you have to wait to
get gdm again, and then you can shutdown from the system menu in gdm.

> Why is there a little bit of space left on the bottom of a maximized Gnome
> Terminal? Other apps maximize properly.

This is the same with every terminal emulator, and will depend on your
metacity theme. The reason is that you get only a integer number of
lines, so if the bottom bit is not enough to do a line, then it will not
be used. That said, this is not really convenient. I use the atlanta
theme, and have this little space on both sides and on the bottom, and
maybe a space one pixel wide or so on the left. When i click there for
selecting text or pasting it, it will often open nautilus, so it would
be real nice if the metacity theme would fill these places with empty
space. That said, i guess it is easy enough to do it by modifying the
themes.

Friendly,

Sven Luther