Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:10:37 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Dan Ros">
>
> > To my mind, good design is something like "make things simple by default,
> > but allow expert configuration if desired".
>
> That's exactly what defines the relationship between the preferences
> available in the immediate user interface and those in GConf.

But one of the great advantages of Galeon 1.2.x is, you can instantly
toggle preferences from the UI: Use proxy or not, allow JavaScript or
not etc. These are IMHO killer features that make galeon superior to IE.

Always launching gconf-editor together with galeon(-snapshot)
is not exactly a comfortable solution.

So the removal of these menu items in Galeon 2 is making things more
complicate, not easier. Since (dis-)allowing JavaScript is also a
security issue, the galeon developers' decision to do away with these
menus is quite unfortunate.

You may argue that [insert figure here] percent of the users don't even
know what JavaScript is - but, well, then they just don't have to touch
this menu. Maybe the galeon developers should include something like the
different user levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced) that Nautilus
had earlier.

Johannes