Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 22:13, Andrew Lau wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:22:46PM +0100, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > > Turn off the gconf setting /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
> > > (by using gconf-editor, for example).
> >
> > O lord this sound way to much like something on that other operating
> > system.
>
> I'll have to agree with you there. It's starting to annoy me how in an
> effort to make userfriendly and GNOME HIG (Human Interface Guideline)
> compliant, more and more of its advanced options are disappearing from
> the preferences dialogs and can only be changed messing with
> gconf. Galeon 2 (galeon-snapshot) is a prime example of this
> nonsense. In my opinion, if GNOME keeps heading this way, it's going
> to start alienating some of its more intermediate to advanced users.

As an example advanced user, I just want to voice my opinion I *like*
the new design.  It was a serious pain in the rear to sort thru 10
billion options to find the one you were looking for.  I wouldn't be
opposed to a separate, advanced, set of options in separate dialogs that
could be hidden from stupid^winexperienced users, but the weird stuff
should be kept out of the core.

If it helps any, there *is* another GNOME setup interface (that sucks
rocks as far as good UI goes, but some people apparently like straining
their eyes trying to read a dialog), and you can always just think of
the GConf database as a set of directories with files, just with a
point-n-click interface.

<off-topic-commentary> Really, the GConf/registry idea is a very good
one.  A certain commercial company's specific implementation is
absolutely terrible, but that doesn't mean a better implementation will
be bad.  It's no different than using an NIS database, or LDAP, or
NetInfo (Apple's registry system, which is far better integrated into
the OS than GConf, and works quite well).  Don't spread FUD (ugh, hate
saying that) on the GConf database just because The Registry(tm) sucks.
I'd love to see other UNIX's/Linux switch to something like NetInfo, and
get rid of the 4,000 incompatible, easily-broken, constantly-changing
format config files we're stuck with today. </off-topic-commentary>