Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:13:15 +1100
Andrew Lau <netsnipe@debianplanet.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:22:46PM +0100, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > > Turn off the gconf setting /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
> > > (by using gconf-editor, for example).
> >
> > O lord this sound way to much like something on that other operating
> > system.
>
> I'll have to agree with you there. It's starting to annoy me how in an
> effort to make userfriendly and GNOME HIG (Human Interface Guideline)
> compliant, more and more of its advanced options are disappearing from
> the preferences dialogs and can only be changed messing with
> gconf. Galeon 2 (galeon-snapshot) is a prime example of this
> nonsense. In my opinion, if GNOME keeps heading this way, it's going
> to start alienating some of its more intermediate to advanced users.

In facts, something very good would be to have a flag in the Gnome
preferences : "i'm an expert, i know what i do, show me all your hidden
options" instead that hiding things in strange and un-intuitive ways to
do.

Changing of window manager for example is not very intuitive (not to say
hard) in Gnome2 while it was very easy in Gnome1.

That's the one thing i do not really like in Gnome2, it becomes harder
to define anything we want. Another example : how can i get rid of that
flashy thing (it's damn ugly!) when i click on a panel launcher ? Didn't
found the preference anywhere...

Sawfish preferences had a box where we could set : i'm a basic user
(default), an average user or an expert (do not know if this preference
box is still there or not)

Julien