Re: Gaim CVS snapshot packages

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 19:33, Robert McQueen wrote:
> Right, yeah. I forgot to make it clear... gaim-gnome is gone. It offered
> three advantages but came with three evil disadvantages. The GNOME URL
> handler was one advantage, and the fact we got session management for
> free, were the libgnome benefits, and the panel applet was the other.
>
> The disadvantages were lots of ugly #ifdef USE_GNOME and #ifdef
> USE_APPLET all through the code, and the fact that between normal, GNOME
> and applet, Gaim had three main loops using three different command line
> parsers so three different sets of options. That sucked. The third big
> disadvantage was that we'd have to port all this crap to new GNOME2
> APIs. So we just junked it. There are better alternatives for all the
> benefits.
>
> The URL handler is trivial. When GNOME 2.2 comes out there should be a
> simple launch-url command we can test for and use. Session management
> I've almost finished implementing using just libSM and a little code
> from Havoc Pennington's GsmClient library. This should mean that when
> you exit GNOME/KDE with Gaim running, it's started when you log back in.
> And as for the applet, that has been replaced with a Tray Icon plugin,
> which works for users of KDE, GNOME, or any WM that can dock a system
> tray dockapp (docker IIRC).

I've been using gaim from CVS for about 3 months now and loving it so
I'm happy to see it finally make it in as a deb. I must admit though
that I'm enjoying the bleeding edge "newness" of CVS so much that I'm
reluctant to install the actual Debian package. :) I don't know if this
is an issue with the deb, but with my CVS builds I've been having some
stability issues. Gaim regularly dies on me with no warning and no sign
of it ever having crashed except for the fact that it's not running. I'm
going to try the package sometime in the near future to see if the same
problem persists.

-Alex