Re: Gaim CVS snapshot packages

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:33:32 +0000
Robert McQueen <robot101@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:48:41AM +0100, Julien Portalier wrote:
> > Just did an apt-get -b source gaim, and it works really nicely, gaim
> > has improved a lot since the 0.5 branch. , i just tried a chat with
> > myself (you can add yourself as a contact ^^), and i was able to
> > talk in japanese, french. Thank you very much for this package !
> > I'll try it as soon as tomorrow with some friends using icq on
> > win32, to test the i18n features.
>
> That's cool, this guy has been working really hard on i18n, I'll pass
> on your congratulations. However, ICQ is a big problem area at the
> moment, because most clients don't really mark the charset they're
> sending or anything, it's just co-incidence that people who talk in
> the same language use the same charset (except people speaking Russian
> find that Linux uses a different charset to Windows - problems and
> ugly hacks required). Seeing as it's not possible to determine
> character sets reliably given arbitrary data, we're a bit stuck....

Well, that's a general problem over the internet... charset conversions.
Many applications tries their best for correcting those problems, but
well, protocols & locales are not really taking care of it.. but well,
gaim lokks like to have had a good i18n, but well, t only lokks like for
the moment, didn't really tried it.

> > Please note i'm only having the gaim package, not the gaim-gnome, it
> > wasn't created. But i think it's because of the Tray Icon plugin.
> > Didn't tried it, i haven't the system-tray-applet installed. Maybe a
> > Replaces: gaim-gnome in the package could be interesting to
> > automatically remove the old package (which is no longer needed.)
>
> Right, yeah. I forgot to make it clear... gaim-gnome is gone. It
> offered three advantages but came with three evil disadvantages. The
> GNOME URL handler was one advantage, and the fact we got session
> management for free, were the libgnome benefits, and the panel applet
> was the other.

Well yes, but since i moved to gnome2 i didn't used it, and well, the
applet didn't really missed me.

> The URL handler is trivial. When GNOME 2.2 comes out there should be a
> simple launch-url command we can test for and use. Session management
> I've almost finished implementing using just libSM and a little code
> from Havoc Pennington's GsmClient library. This should mean that when
> you exit GNOME/KDE with Gaim running, it's started when you log back
> in. And as for the applet, that has been replaced with a Tray Icon
> plugin, which works for users of KDE, GNOME, or any WM that can dock a
> system tray dockapp (docker IIRC).

Hum, quite nice, the future is going to be quite nice ^^ Nice work
you're doing !

> > Here is what you asked for :
> > julien@home:~$ find /usr/share/doc/gaim/
>
> Looks OK, but is the /usr/share/doc/gaim-common dir totally removed?

The /usr/share/doc/gaim-common is unexistant on my system. So i think
everything is ok :)

Julien