Re: Gaim CVS snapshot packages

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:48:41AM +0100, Julien Portalier wrote:
> Just did an apt-get -b source gaim, and it works really nicely, gaim has
> improved a lot since the 0.5 branch. , i just tried a chat with
> myself (you can add yourself as a contact ^^), and i was able to talk in
> japanese, french. Thank you very much for this package ! I'll try it as
> soon as tomorrow with some friends using icq on win32, to test the i18n
> features.

That's cool, this guy has been working really hard on i18n, I'll pass
on your congratulations. However, ICQ is a big problem area at the
moment, because most clients don't really mark the charset they're
sending or anything, it's just co-incidence that people who talk in the
same language use the same charset (except people speaking Russian find
that Linux uses a different charset to Windows - problems and ugly
hacks required). Seeing as it's not possible to determine character sets
reliably given arbitrary data, we're a bit stuck....

> But well, the package doesn't seems to have problems, all my
> configuration was there, all buddies too. I didn't had any warning at
> the package compilation, and none at the package upgrade.
> Note that i'm using Sarge, with gnome2 from Sid.

Cool.

> Please note i'm only having the gaim package, not the gaim-gnome, it
> wasn't created. But i think it's because of the Tray Icon plugin. Didn't
> tried it, i haven't the system-tray-applet installed. Maybe a Replaces:
> gaim-gnome in the package could be interesting to automatically remove
> the old package (which is no longer needed.)

Right, yeah. I forgot to make it clear... gaim-gnome is gone. It offered
three advantages but came with three evil disadvantages. The GNOME URL
handler was one advantage, and the fact we got session management for
free, were the libgnome benefits, and the panel applet was the other.

The disadvantages were lots of ugly #ifdef USE_GNOME and #ifdef
USE_APPLET all through the code, and the fact that between normal, GNOME
and applet, Gaim had three main loops using three different command line
parsers so three different sets of options. That sucked. The third big
disadvantage was that we'd have to port all this crap to new GNOME2
APIs. So we just junked it. There are better alternatives for all the
benefits.

The URL handler is trivial. When GNOME 2.2 comes out there should be a
simple launch-url command we can test for and use. Session management
I've almost finished implementing using just libSM and a little code
from Havoc Pennington's GsmClient library. This should mean that when
you exit GNOME/KDE with Gaim running, it's started when you log back in.
And as for the applet, that has been replaced with a Tray Icon plugin,
which works for users of KDE, GNOME, or any WM that can dock a system
tray dockapp (docker IIRC).

> Here is what you asked for :
> julien@home:~$ find /usr/share/doc/gaim/

Looks OK, but is the /usr/share/doc/gaim-common dir totally removed?

> Julien

Regards,
Rob