Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:12:54AM -0700, Ryan Murray wrote:

 > Yes.  This is the problem we know about.  Depending on libraries that
 > aren't needed for linking is not a fix for the problem.  Keeping the
 > ABI the same is, as is not using RTLD_GLOBAL.

 Sorry, you lost me there... where did I suggest to change the ABI?  You
 mean when I originally asked to switch to libpng3?  Yes, that point was
 clear to me.  /Back then/ the breakage was well contained.

 > In most cases, the application shouldn't need to use png files
 > directly, with some obvious exceptions like gimp.  It's still a
 > problem, tho...

 Right.  Celestia (my package) uses libpng (and libjpeg, and ...) to
 load textures.  It doesn't use gdkpixbuf.  In fact the part that uses
 gdkpixbuf is GTK+ itself.

 > >  applications linked against the "wrong" libpng.  If someone fixes
 > >  libgtk2.0, then yes, remove the dependency, but until then, the
 > >  dependency has a reason to be there.
 >
 > As a hack around the problem that causes most people to file bugs asking
 > it to be changed to the one you aren't depending on.  I realize why you
 > want it, just don't agree that the hack is as useful as you make it to
 > be.

 I'm not denying it's a hack.  In fact I'm not even trying to say it's
 useful in the sense that it's advantageous; but I do hold it's useful
 in the sense that it fulfills a purpose.

 But to more relevant things... is there anything that speaks against
 just removing RTLD_GLOBAL from dlopen's call in gdkpixbuf?  That isn't
 the "let's fix the root of the problem for good" solution I was looking
 for, but is a correct solution in this case.  Is there *anything* out
 there that depends on side effects of calling gdk_pixbuf_whatever?

 Marcelo