Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

Christian Marillat writes:

 > >   (Sorry, but GNOME is currently a huge mess in Debian, between a
 > >   haphazard upgrade of 2.x to libpng3, screwing up the ABI of 1.x
 > >   via libpng3, and the zero-strategy migration to GNOME 2.x in
 > >   unstable. I'm not used to this kind of blundering from Debian
 > >   projects... This one seriously needs informed and cooperative
 > >   leadership.)
 >
 > Only one word, bullshit. And please stop your troll in our list.

That's a little harsh.  I am very grateful for the efforts of the
Debian volunteers, but the Gnome2 process has been exceptionally
painful.  I don't know enough of the history to know how many of the
problems are caused by Gnome itself and how many from a couple of
well-meaning missteps (like the png thing).  Since I'm not
volunteering to fix it myself, I won't complain any further, and will
repeat my thanks for all the work people are doing.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/