Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

<quote who="Ryan Murray">

> OK, we have Christian not even reading my messages and simply saying
> "Everyone else has jumped off a bridge!  You haven't!  Jump off the bridge
> already!".  I'm not interested in jumping off bridges without any reason
> given, or in general.
>
> Can someone give me at least ONE reason why we should be breaking the
> ABI of GNOME 1 (which has been the same since at least GNOME 1.0 as
> far as PNG goes), and introducing incompatibilty with third party
> binaries and other distributions?  GNOME 1 is in maintenance only mode
> upstream, and even that is slowing/stopping as resources are dedicated
> to GNOME 2.
>
> I'm asking for a reason for this breakage.

Given that changing the ABI for GNOME 1.x stuff is exceptionally foolish, I
strongly support a return to libpng2. I'm surprised that this was even
considered!

  (Sorry, but GNOME is currently a huge mess in Debian, between a haphazard
  upgrade of 2.x to libpng3, screwing up the ABI of 1.x via libpng3, and the
  zero-strategy migration to GNOME 2.x in unstable. I'm not used to this
  kind of blundering from Debian projects... This one seriously needs
  informed and cooperative leadership.)

- Jeff

--
    Echidnas, or at least the ones I've met, don't have joy. Adults very
     rarely have joy. Kids have hyperkinetic nuclear joy in abundance.