Re: G2D problem with window managers

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 04:39, Joseph Carter wrote:
> He won't do anything even resembling window matching.  There are half a
> dozen features related to workspace management which come from window
> matching, and Havoc is convinced that this should not be done in order to
> force people to rewrite misbehaving applications.

You'll be incredibly pleased to know that I have discussed this with
Havoc in the past, and I am working on a program to perform "window
matching" as a separate process.

Last night, after chasing missing X hints and fixing a trivial bug in
Metacity, it successfully matched my Gkrellm window, and make it
disappear from the tasklist, the pager, and appear on all workspaces.

Of course, I then upgraded to Gkrellm 2.0pre1 which did this for me...
but I'm still writing it.

At the moment those are the only actions it can take -- this code is
seriously itch-scratching at the moment.  What actions should it be able
to perform?

* set skip pager|tasklist
* set sticky/pinned
* set workspace
* set size/position
* set maximised/minimised

Is there anything I missed?

It can also match windows based upon their title, or the "application
name" as determined by libwnck (its the name the tasklist uses when
grouping applications).  What other matchers would be usefull?

Regards,
Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com