Re: G2D problem with window managers

On 02 Aug 2002 12:59:20 -0400
Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 08:43, Julien Portalier wrote:
>
> > The problem is with the window manager. I though the default window
> > manager used by G2D was sawfish (G2D version) or metacity. But it's
> > apparently not the case ! The default launched one is... twm !
>
> I think the solution to this problem is simply to make metacity have a
> higher alternatives priority than twm (and most other window
> managers). If the system administrator installs metacity, they likely
> did it as part of installing GNOME 2, and that means they likely want
> GNOME 2 to be the default desktop.
>
> Besides, metacity's functionality is basically a useful superset of
> that of twm.
>
> Akira?  What do you think?

Ok, the way to update the alternatives is to launch update-alternatives
x-window-manager and to select sawfish or metacity, why not having
something in the gnome-session debconf telling to modify it ? Or use it
to modify the x-window-manager alternative ? Not everybody is a debian
expert or a system administrator.

In fact, it's true that with the G1.4 control center the user could
easily choose the WM he wanted to be launched, that (good) feature has
been removed, don't know why...

Julien