Re: G2D problem with window managers

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:12:58AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Just last night, when I commented about a problem with gnome-terminal and
> > > epic, I was told that I should be using xchat rather than some terminal
> > > based irc client.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much real interest
> > > in whether or not Gnome works with anything but Gnome, including former
> > > Gnome1.4 users.
> >
> > Depends on who you talk to.  One or two people can be asses, doesn't
> > mean the whole project is against you.  So far as using x-chat goes..
> > that's one nasty, and not at all GNOME-based, IRC client.  ~,^
>
> Since this was brought up, I should point out that I was just making a
> polite suggestion.  Here is the relevant portion of the discussion:
>
> Aug 04 00:18:31 <walters>	seems like it would make more sense to port that MGT feature to the gnome 2 terminal
> Aug 04 00:19:24 <Knghtbrd>	walters: I asked Havoc for the major one..
> Aug 04 00:19:33 <Knghtbrd>	walters: I bet you can guess his reply...
> Aug 04 00:20:09 <walters>	hm
> Aug 04 00:20:13 <walters>	btw, why not just use xchat?
> Aug 04 00:20:58 <Knghtbrd>	Because I'm a scriptwriter and have beenn using epic since my old unix days ... ?
> Aug 04 00:21:05 <walters>	i mean, if you're at the point of depending on MGT...
> Aug 04 00:21:06 <walters>	hm
> Aug 04 00:21:32 <walters>	xchat is scriptable too...although I've never used it.

It wasn't you I was talking about Colin, it was someone else about a week
ago whose nich I don't recall offhand now.  He was telling me I shouldn't
expect "stupid hacks" like epic's wserv to work with gnome-terminal's tabs
and that if I wanted graphical IRC I should stop hanging on to a relic
like epic and use xchat like any other sane person would.

I did not take to that too well, as you can imagine.  Yesterday I made a
comment about the problem and that I was using MGT as a workaround, and
that's where you came in above..  I didn't mean you, sorry for not being
clear.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>       My opinions are always right

<knghtbrd> Nintendo Declares GCN Most Popular Console Ever
<knghtbrd> Who are they kidding?
<Mercury> knghtbrd: Stock holders?