Re: G2D problem with window managers

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:44:34PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > The ability to open an application in a particular workspace and how it is
> > opened (zoomed, etc.)  I've gotta use such big fonts in all of my windows
> > that I literally have ten different workspaces to put them all in.  And I
> > use them, too!  I have only two of those ten workspaces which are not
> > regularly populated.
>
> This needs standards work.

Sure - but other window managers have the feature today.  It's not
perfect, but asking for all current applications to be rewritten before
this works is a non-starter.

> > I also have been asking for the ability to raise windows on alt-tab for
> > quite some time because the current method Metacity uses to highlight a
> > window to be raised lacks sufficient visual cues to be useful to
> > low-vision people.  He finally agreed to do this on a different key, but
> > it hasn't been done yet and Havoc has commented that this is not a high
> > priority for him.
>
> Is this in bugzilla? The a11y dudes will love this one. Remember that Havoc
> is now maintainer of four (GConf, libwnck, gnome-terminal, metacity) very
> important GNOME modules (as well as chair of the foundation, etc) - you
> can't expect him to do everything (he can't), he has to prioritise.

Yes.  I do not have the bug number immediately handy, but a couple of guys
from Sun proposed the alternative keys which some versions of Windows use
to provide this function.

> > As to the window matching, he says it's a hack and it's not worth doing
> > for the "three people who would actually use it".
>
> He's actuallly had some constructive input on this, and is looking to
> impliment basic matching. Note: "constructive". Again, use bugzilla.

I've offered him exactly what sort of things work well for matching, in my
experience as a user of the feature.  I've also offered to put together a
sane interface to matching prefs (Sawfish's interface is not so good..)

I've also explained exactly what I use it for and how it helps me.  How
much more constructive can I be than that?

> Dude - think positive and constructive. No one's inspired by your
> adversarial manner.

You mean like filing bug reports, offering solutions, and helping out as I
can?  I haven't gotten very far doing these things.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          You want fries with that?

<Overfiend> Don't come crying to me about your "30 minute compiles"!!  I
            have to build X uphill both ways!  In the snow!  With bare
            feet! And we didn't have compilers!  We had to translate the
            C code to mnemonics OURSELVES!
<Overfiend> And I was 18 before we even had assemblers!