Re: G2D problem with window managers

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 21:35, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sean Middleditch">
>
> > Ah, these I am unaware of... the only things I've heard him refuse to
> > implement are the "weird" features like separate viewports/workspaces...
>
> We don't need separate viewports and workspaces - we need a good combination
> of the features of the two (the separate definition is mere semantics). This
> has been discussed over and over again - please talk about the behaviours,
> not the names of these features.

I was just saying what I heard people bitch about him not implementing;
I'm quite happy with how Metacity works in this regard now, and never
even understand Sawfish's separated model... ~,^

> > > It's quite clear that my needs don't matter to him, and based on the
> > > reaction I get to requests for these features (many of which used to be in
> > > G1D), I would gather not many other people outside of Sun do either.
> >
> > Sorry, outside of Sun?
>
> (Sun is the primary driver of a11y work in GNOME.)

Ah, I see.  Righty.

> > Gnome-terminal does indeed suck very badly, but there appears to be a new
> > terminal widget in the works, which may fix your problems, once it's
> > released.  I know the current widget (zvt or whatever its called) gives me
> > no end of head-aches...
>
> VTE is a lot better in terms of fonts, a11y, i18n, etc. but performance is
> an issue at the moment. It's tentatively planned as the widget we'll use in
> 2.2.

VTE, OK.  Is there a way I can play with this in Debian yet, besides
using CVS?  (/me hates installing things any way other than with dpkg -
makes the file system messy).