Re: mix gnome1 and gnome2?

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 00:31, Stefan Märkl wrote:
> Just a question for the transition phase to GNOME2...
>
> To which extent is it possible to use GNOME1 and GNOME2 at the same time? The GNOME website says that GNOME2 breaks binary compatibility with 1, and I assume that means that certain libraries can't be installed in 2 flavors at the same time. However, GTK1.2 coexists with 2.0, and I would like to try the new GNOME2 stuff, but I'd like to keep the older versions for the time that there are programs not yet translated to G2 / that haven't been packaged for debian yet.
>
> So:
> - what coexists?
> - can I have for example 1 G1-panel and 1 G2-panel at the same time?
> - Being a relatively new debian-user (approx. 1 year) and with just a bit of coding experience, how can I help? I've started writing bug reports, am regularly compiling packages myself instead of installing the precompiled ones and would like to be of service.

>From what I can see you couldn't easily run a panel1 and panel2 at the
same time unless you build your own packages from source.  The Debian
packages in experimental generally conflict or overwrite things that
would be needed for a core package like that.

I'm running the experimental packages at the moment, though, and all
Gnome 1 applications I've tried work fine (Evolution, Galeon, GNUCash,
...) as long as they aren't applets.

Most applets available for 1 are not yet available for 2, at least in
the Debian packages.  Ones that aren't available under Gnome2, include
anything to monitor CPU/disk/WLAN/... other than battery.  I'm not sure
why this is since it appears there _are_ some monitoring apps in the
gnome-applets2 package in Gnome CVS.

Other applets that don't work that I used to use under Gnome 1 are
ooqstart and asclock.

Overall the release seems to be coming together, and the guys doing the
Debian packaging of Gnome 2 are tracking pretty well against the fast
moving changes to many components - the above is really just
representative of what you get for playing with 'experimental'...

Cheers,
					Andrew.