Re: mix gnome1 and gnome2?

Everything can, technically, co-exit.  Binary compatibility simply means
that an application compiled for gnome1 can't make use of gnome2
libraries - you must retain the gnome1 libraries.

All libraries should be able to be co-installed.  Many of the
applications can't be co-installed, in the same prefix, because the
binaries have the same name.  You can always install the gnome2 binaries
in a different prefix, hwoever (such as /usr/local or /opt)

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 08:31, Stefan Märkl wrote:
> Just a question for the transition phase to GNOME2...
>
> To which extent is it possible to use GNOME1 and GNOME2 at the same time? The GNOME website says that GNOME2 breaks binary compatibility with 1, and I assume that means that certain libraries can't be installed in 2 flavors at the same time. However, GTK1.2 coexists with 2.0, and I would like to try the new GNOME2 stuff, but I'd like to keep the older versions for the time that there are programs not yet translated to G2 / that haven't been packaged for debian yet.
>
> So:
> - what coexists?

All libraries, very few applications - but you can always just use a
different prefix.

> - can I have for example 1 G1-panel and 1 G2-panel at the same time?

Yes, but only in different prefixes.  I had Garnome G2 installed in
$HOME/garnome (the default) for example, and Gnome 1 installed with
normal Debian packages.

Now I've got the Debian unstable/experimental Debian packages of G2
installed, and the libraries for G1.4 installed as well.  My G1 apps
(like Galeon, Evo.) work fine, and so do my G2 apps.  I must use the G2
desktop programs like the panel, however.

> - Being a relatively new debian-user (approx. 1 year) and with just a bit of coding experience, how can I help? I've started writing bug reports, am regularly compiling packages myself instead of installing the precompiled ones and would like to be of service.

Being a user who has the packaging skill of a dead monkey on a stick,
I'd love to see vastly more up-to-date Debian packages of G2 in
experimental.  Of course, with Woody freeze right now, that must take
higher priority.

You might also want to ask the GNome developers themselves (gnome-devel
mailing list at gnome.org) - they have some 7,000 open bugs, and the
more they get closed before the G2 release, the better.