mix gnome1 and gnome2?

Just a question for the transition phase to GNOME2...

To which extent is it possible to use GNOME1 and GNOME2 at the same time? The GNOME website says that GNOME2 breaks binary compatibility with 1, and I assume that means that certain libraries can't be installed in 2 flavors at the same time. However, GTK1.2 coexists with 2.0, and I would like to try the new GNOME2 stuff, but I'd like to keep the older versions for the time that there are programs not yet translated to G2 / that haven't been packaged for debian yet.

So:
- what coexists?
- can I have for example 1 G1-panel and 1 G2-panel at the same time?
- Being a relatively new debian-user (approx. 1 year) and with just a bit of coding experience, how can I help? I've started writing bug reports, am regularly compiling packages myself instead of installing the precompiled ones and would like to be of service.

Thanks for answers,

Ciao
Stefan