Gnome 2 Install Bugs

Last Thursday (December 5), I installed Gnome 2 on a basically woody
system using the instructions at
http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html.  I ran into the following
major installation problems.

1. The script /usr/share/gnome-session/debian/gnome-stuff-1-to-2, the
here-doc ending at line 343 (EOF) is indented when it shouldn't be.
This causes strange errors about reaching the end of file prematurely.
By the way, the syntax highlighting in VIM pointed this out right away.

2. A couple of error messages arose because the web page either doesn't
mention to install gnome-control-center, or it is not set up properly as
a dependency for gnome.  The two errors were 1) File not found
/usr/share/pixmaps/control-center2.png, and 2) Error starting GNOME
Settings Daemon.

Overall, I am farily disappointed with GNOME 2.  Many of the
configuration options have been oversimplified, the removal of the
favorites menu was a disappointment, and the Window List applet
sometimes decides not to use two rows to display the running
applications and doesn't appear to group like applications like it used
to.  Is there an easy way to go back to the Gnome that shipped with
Woody now that I've upgraded?

--
Chris Ingram