Re: Gnome 2 Install Bugs

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 08:38, Chris Ingram wrote:
> Last Thursday (December 5), I installed Gnome 2 on a basically woody
> system using the instructions at
> http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html.  I ran into the following
> major installation problems.
>
> 1. The script /usr/share/gnome-session/debian/gnome-stuff-1-to-2, the
> here-doc ending at line 343 (EOF) is indented when it shouldn't be.
> This causes strange errors about reaching the end of file prematurely.
> By the way, the syntax highlighting in VIM pointed this out right away.

Are you using the sid packages or the woody backport?  I remember
Christian fixing this bug a while back.

> 2. A couple of error messages arose because the web page either doesn't
> mention to install gnome-control-center, or it is not set up properly as
> a dependency for gnome.  The two errors were 1) File not found
> /usr/share/pixmaps/control-center2.png, and 2) Error starting GNOME
> Settings Daemon.

This was actually a bug in the gnome package, discovered by Michael
Cardenas.  The gnome package *does* depend on gnome-control-center, but
it didn't have an epoch, which let you still keep the old one around.

> Overall, I am farily disappointed with GNOME 2.  Many of the
> configuration options have been oversimplified, the removal of the
> favorites menu was a disappointment, and the Window List applet
> sometimes decides not to use two rows to display the running
> applications and doesn't appear to group like applications like it used
> to.  Is there an easy way to go back to the Gnome that shipped with
> Woody now that I've upgraded?

If you used aptitude to install gnome, then it would be as easy as
'aptitude remove gnome', because aptitude keeps track of which packages
were just installed as dependencies.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to just go back and manually figure out
the list of packages, and apt-get remove them.  Alternatively you could
try picking a few of the libraries, removing them, and seeing what else
apt wants to remove.