Re: Gnome 2 upgrade failed, no window manager

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 07:26:43AM +0000, Miah Gregory wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 4ee681904b.mace@darksilence.net>
>           Miah Gregory <mace@darksilence.net> wrote:
>
> > In message <[🔎] 20021105071244.GA1845@iliana>
> >           Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> > > You have to use update-alternatives as root :
>
> > > # update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> > Strange. Tried that, but, as expected, enlightenment is the only installed
> > window manager. :/
>
> Sure sign of madness, and all, but..
>
> Just tried logging in again, after the above command. E seems to have
> started properly this time, so I can only assume the x-window-manager
> alternative link was broken all this time? Very strange.

I think you have to relaunch the session or such for it to take effect.
I think the package installation let the system in a broken state, i
think this is one of the things getting solved in the mentioned thread.
Lucky you to have only E installed, else you would have had twm started.
Gnome in twm is a funny thing to watch, but not all that usefull.

Friendly,

Sven Luther