Re: Gnome 2 upgrade failed, no window manager

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 07:23:14AM +0000, Miah Gregory wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 20021105071244.GA1845@iliana>
>           Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:48:16AM +0000, Miah Gregory wrote:
>
> > > [please CC as not subscribed to list]
>
> > > Just upgraded to gnome 2 from sid, and it went through the upgrade
> > > process without any complaints. However, enlightenment is not being
> > > started, nor indeed can I find any options on the new control panel
> > > (which I could only find on the "Debian Menu->Apps->System->Gnome->Gnome
> > > Control Center 2" menu) which allow you to select the window manager.
>
> > > From the "Applications->Desktop Preferences" menu, there appear to be a
> > > different set of configuration items to those available in the control
> > > center itself. In the Advanced submenu, all but screensaver are listed.
> > > The accessibility submenu seems complete, but there is nothing from the
> > > Desktop Preferences section of control center.
>
> > > I've finally resorted to starting enlightenment as part of the session,
> > > but presumably this /isn't/ the right way to do this?
>
> > > Please let me know if there's any more information you need me to
> > > provide.
>
> > You have to use update-alternatives as root :
>
> > # update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> Strange. Tried that, but, as expected, enlightenment is the only installed
> window manager. :/

Mmm, maybe this is perhaps due to the solution i was speaking below.
Only sawfish and metacity being gnome2 compliant solutions and where
going to be considered for running gnome2, i don't think this was supposed
to stop you from using another WM, just that metacity and sawfish get
higher priority.

I will let other respond to you then.

> My apologies, I did check this month's archive, but, if it weren't so early,
> I should've checked last month and earlier too. :-)

But apparently this is a new problem.

Friendly,

Sven Luther