Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 12:35:45PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:

> Unstable isn't for users. Period.

Bullshit!  I'm a user!  I'm also a DD.  But unstable is what we run,
so we try not to break it gratuitously.  However, if you really feel
that way, I'm willing to upload some totally broken builds of orbit2
to keep gnome2 from running.  That'll keep users away! :)

> By the time sarge releases we *will* have a transition between gnome
> 1.4->gnome 2 (via Ximian and Red Hat); until then, things can remain
> as they are.

In the four years I've been running unstable, I've seen some minor
breakage here and there, but it's always been accidental, and always
fixed as soon as possible.  I've never before seen someone seriously
suggest introducing massive breakage _deliberately_, and frankly, I'm
appalled to hear it now.

Debian is _supposed_ to be about quality, about building a system _by_
users, _for_ users (of the people, by the people, for the people).
And yes, that applies to unstable.  If things cause breakage, they
belong in experimental!

Man, I am so glad you're not physically present here and now, because
I am having an almost irrepressible urge to pound the face of someone
who would say "unstable isn't for users".  And I'm too old for that
sort of violence.  Get a freakin' clue, jackass!

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single