Pango Problems

OK, so I've got a Sid box with pre4.2 XF86 on it and experimental
pinned.

I've got the shiniest latest version of everything, because apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade runs every night.

I've also got the perennial problem:

$PROGRAM : relocation error : /usr/lib/libpangoft.a.b.c undefined symbol
- FT_Get_First_Char

Or some approximation to that.

Now, some applications can be goaded into working by exporting
GDK_USE_XFT=1. gnome-terminal is one of these. Some cannot. nautilus is
one of these.

Googling basically turns up people with the same problem as me, but no
solutions.

I'm almost at the point of slopping KDE3 on this box.

Save me!

:-)

Cheers

Peter.