Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:05:39 +0200
Jochen Voss <jvoss2@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:47:20PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> > Yeah, but we *are* running unstable. :)
> But there is no need to break things consciously!
>
> We should at least have a plan before we start
> a huge mess in unstable.  I suggest we do not upload
> any further GNOME-2 packages to unstable, until
> we have at least some transition plan.
>
> Of course each developer could start the transition
> avalanche by replacing his packages in unstable with
> GNOME-2 versions.  But breaking GNOME-1.4 in unstable
> before most GNOME package maintainers agree to that is
> somewhat rude in my opinion.
>
> I would suggest to take my draft at
>
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200206/msg00187.html

Here is the end of your draft :
I am somewhat skeptical about the first upgrade path.
If somebody decides to try the GNOME-2 packages early,
what would happen to him after we drop the 2 suffix?
Does he need to manually switch back to "package"?

The question is good, and that would be the biggest problem, but, in
facts, people who are running debian/unstable, and going to try gnome2
must be aware of this fact. For now, packages for gnome2 are named
package2, and we have to deal with it until we get rid of gnome1.4

Well this would permit to have both gnome1.4 and gnome2 in unstable,
this would be easier (and best i think) for people who wants to have a
try to gnome2. Instead than having people asking : why does apt-get
doesn't make any upgrade from experimental ?

I don't think we should replace gnome2 right now in Unstable, people may
don't want to have gnome2 right now, and just prefer to keep gnome1.4
until a good gnome2 is out (i think it's quite powerful, fast and very
stable, but i'm just too subjective :)

I think we should have both gnome versions in unstable, instead than
having one cuted between unstable & experimental. Bug reports would be
better i think, and so, as far as gnome2 is officialy out, why not
having it in unstable ? with packages "renamed" package2. That would not
reak any gnome1.4 user, and if conflicts packages are well done, we
could be able to switch from one to one with just an apt-get line like
"apt-get install gnome-desktop" & "apt-get install gnome-desktop2" ...

in the facts, yes, when gnome1.4 will be replaced by gnome2 and packages
renamed from packages2, and with good conflicts and meta-packages, an
"apt-get install gnome-desktop" will just correct dependencies.

What do you think ?

---
this was my 2cents.