Re: Panel item question

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:42:49PM -0800, Ryan Lovett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:59:58PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> > The "try-run" field of launchers does *not* affect their visibility.

> On my system, if the TryExec field value is not found, the item is not
> visible.

I'm sorry.  You originally said "panel item", which confused me.  The
*menu* items are not tied to the panel in any way.  You can shut down
the panel or remove the foot icon (which *is* a "panel item"), and
still have access to the menus through (e.g.) your window manager.

So, I thought you were talking about launchers, which *are* panel
items.  Launchers are created with Panel->Add to Panel->Launcher.  For
launchers, the tryexec field does *not* affect the visibility *or* the
operation of the item.  (That last, I suspect, is a bug).

Anyway, now that I finally understand what you're talking about, I
agree with you.  And yes, the tryexec field of a *menu* item does
control its visibility.

And, after creating a new test account, I see that the *launcher* I
was complaining about no longer gets created by default.  The one on
my panel is an artifact of an older (buggier) version of Gnome.  Which
certainly explains why you didn't know what *I* was talking about. :)

So, hopefully we're all on the same page now?  Launchers and menu
items are two different things?  (Mass confusion is so much fun!:)

> I submitted a couple of patches:

> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=135992&repeatmerged=yes
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=135993&repeatmerged=yes

Just FYI, bug report URLs have a short form:

  http://bugs.debian.org/135992
  http://bugs.debian.org/135993

In any case, those seem reasonable to me.  Good show!  :)

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single