Re: Panel item question

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:57:24AM -0800, Ryan Lovett wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:53:26PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> > My take on the matter is that Netscape is *not* part of a standard
> > Debian system. [...]

> While I don't use Netscape often, it is sometimes necessary as galeon and
> mozilla can't always handle some on-line commerce sites.

By that argument, we "need" to make Netscape a part of a standard Debian
system.  But it's not free software, so we're not going to.

Furthermore, to take that logic a little further: many sites require
IE.  It is, in theory, possible to run IE under wine.  So, we should
really have an IE button instead of a Netscape button, yes?

> I'm guessing that there are enough people who, if they don't use netscape
> occasionally, use it all the time, and that the Netscape item should remain.

Remain where?  IT'S NOT PART OF DEBIAN!

Yes, we make a package available, but it's not on our CDs, and it
takes at least a moderate amount of expertise to install it.  If you
have that much expertise, you should have enough to ADD YOUR OWN
LAUNCHER.  Especially since the Netscape packages support the Debian
menu system, so Netscape will already be in the menus if you need it.

> All I wanted was for 'Netscape' to actually launch 'netscape'. :)

This is the danger of asking for what you want.  Sometimes you may end
up getting more than you want.  :)

> I'll file another bug report with a pointer to this discussion, and
> a patch.

I suppose I'd better do the same if I want my arguments to carry any
weight.  :)

cheers

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single