Re: Panel item question

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:53:26PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> I accidentally emailed Ryan off-list, so my apologies to him for this
> redundant post.

No problem.

> My take on the matter is that Netscape is *not* part of a standard
> Debian system.  Furthermore, unlike a year ago or so, we now have some
> viable alternatives.  Therefore, in my opinion, GNOME should not have
> a Netscape button at all.  It should have a GNOME web-browser item, as
> Ryan suggested, but not in addition to the Netscape item.  It should
> have one *instead*.

While I don't use Netscape often, it is sometimes necessary as galeon and
mozilla can't always handle some on-line commerce sites. Its a bit annoying
when you're in the middle of a transaction and their SSL / JavaScript /
Form-rendering stop working, or at least stop behaving as IE would. :)

> Furthermore, gnome-moz-browser should not default to Netscape, it
> should default to either Mozilla or Galeon, and one (or both) should
> be considered a standard part of GNOME, and should be included by some
> GNOME-related selection in tasksel.
>
> I'm not a fanatic, but as it is, the system you install from CD will
> be broken unless you either reconfigure it (to use something besides
> Netscape) or connect to the net and install more software (from our
> non-free repository).  This is not how things should work.
>
> GNOME is easy enough to use that anyone who *really* wants a Netscape
> button on their panel should be able to figure out how to install one.

I'm guessing that there are enough people who, if they don't use netscape
occasionally, use it all the time, and that the Netscape item should remain.
All I wanted was for 'Netscape' to actually launch 'netscape'. :) I'll file
another bug report with a pointer to this discussion, and a patch.

Ryan